POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? : Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing?
From: Hugo
Date: 28 Apr 2002 18:48:57
Message: <3ccc7c59@news.povray.org>
> >No no! I meant I have 512 MB RAM, and sometimes it
> >seems that the disk is swapping although peak level
> >is somewhat lower (I know that windows etc need
> >RAM too, but I feel like there's some RAM unused
> >while swapping).

Now hear my story! I have 128 mb RAM and 2 OS's but I tend to use Win98
rather than Win2000 (has to do with my palette of software)... SOO, when
Win98 is finished loading after booting, I only have 43 mb left! Those
quickly run off by opening just 2 small programs or so....

> I've heard that Windows can sometimes be a little reluctant to release
> some of the memory it has grabbed for caching files. There are some
> freeware programs that can be used to persuade it to release the file
> cache when the memory is needed by other programs.

I use such a program - actually 2.. "Cachemaster" for disk caches, and
"RAMpage" for administrating memory..

Regards,
Hugo